Welcome back to Summer Reading at West Haven Library. Friday, June 19 to July 31. This year, we’ve added some new ways for adults to stay engaged with reading and the Library over the summer. Click each item to learn more.
To play Book Bingo, download a Book Bingo card here. Each square on the card contains a reading challenge. When you complete a challenge, mark the square. When you complete five challenges in a row vertically, horizontally, or diagonally, fill in your contact information and drop this sheet off at the West Haven Library. If we are still closed, you can drop it in the book drop at any of the Library’s locations. Your completed card will be entered into a weekly drawing for a prize. Prizes will be awarded for each of the first five weeks of summer reading. The sixth and final week, all cards submitted throughout the program will be entered into a final prize drawing. If you win one of the first five weeks, you will not be eligible for another win in those five weeks, but you will still be eligible for the final prize.
- Week 1 runs Friday, June 19 to Thursday, June 25; the winner will be chosen on Monday, June 29.
- Week 2 runs Friday, June 26 to Thursday, July 2; the winner will be chosen on Monday, July 6.
- Week 3 runs Friday, July 3 to Thursday, July 9; the winner will be chosen on Monday, July 13.
- Week 4 runs Friday, July 10 to Thursday, July 16; the winner will be chosen on Monday, July 20.
- Week 5 runs Friday, July 17 to Thursday, July 23; the winner will be chosen on Monday, July 27
- Week 6 runs Friday, July 24 to Friday, July 31. Entries submitted in this final week will be included in the drawing for the final prize, along with all previous entries. The winner of the final prize will be chosen on Monday, August 2.
Join the West Haven Library’s Digital Book Club this summer. The Digital Book Club is run on the GoodReads website, the world’s largest site for readers. The Club is for West Haven Library patrons who want to share what they’ve read and hear from others. Register at the link above to receive an invitation to the group.
Start out by reading 20 minutes a day. You can read digital books, magazines, and comics or listed to digital audiobooks. The Library offers our digital collections through the Libby app by OverDrive, Hoopla Digital, RBdigital, the Connecticut State Library, the Internet Archive, and Project Gutenberg.
The West Haven Library is holding a “Read to Win” contest where prizes will be awarded to the three adult patrons who checked out the most print books or audiobooks during the Summer Reading program. You must borrow more than ten adult print books to qualify for the contest. Winners will be determined at the end of Summer Reading, which runs until July 31, 2020.
Every Thursday at 11 am, the Library hosts a program called Let’s Talk Books over Zoom. Join us to recommend titles you’ve enjoyed or hear recommendations from other readers. Also highlight what’s new in the library’s collection.
When you read something, let the Library community know what you thought! Whether you loved it, hated it, or thought it was just so-so, try your hand at writing a review. We will post some patron reviews to the library’s social media. When we re-open, printed copies of the reviews will be available to the public.